Created B'Tzelem Elohim, "In the Image of God"

Within each child lies a spark of divinity, as we are created B'Tzelem Elohim, "In the Image of God." Every child is special, and deserves the chance to to find their spark. Follow their lead, as their interests may become their gifts.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Such a great week!

This summer I am working in a preschool a few hours a day. I don't have my own class, I am simply going from room to room, helping out where needed and creating systems to make the teachers' jobs easier. Wow! What fun this has been.

I go into an older 2's room.(Isn't that funny that we call the room older 2's and young 3's? Its not like you hear adults saying things like "well, being an older 45 year old I dont think I should have to do the same taxes as, say, the younger 51's.)

Anyway, their teacher was prepping these guys for going to the pool. She said to them, "we are going to not run, not jump around, and we won't use our hands for hitting." I am watching these kids nodding yes in agreement over and over again as they are listening, and can almost hear them mulling over in the minds, "Run, yes, that sounds like a great idea.. After that I will...hmmm. I know, hit! Thanks for the tip, teach!" I watched them stare at their teacher, repeating the last word of her every sentence. Run.. Hit.. Jump. This converstaion went on and on. Even I was a bit bored. So, being the kind to HAVE to say something, I tell the children, "Maybe we can practice walking safely around the pool. Do you think we can walk safely? What would that mean?" They get up and start showing me what that could look like.

(Big Sigh) I think sometimes the teachers don't always like it when I help....

Like the time I was helping another class that was getting ready for the pool. (Middle aged 3's I think). These cuties were having to wait for the teacher to help them get ready. This was waaaaay boring and I could see some serious behavior issues around the corner. So, being the helpful girl scout that I am, I offered to share in the role of dressing the children. I told this little girl "hands up, get ready, say "pull!"" Upon saying "pull" (which usually got a giggle) I would pull their shirt over their heads. OK, now I have a line of takers. Everyone wants to play "arms up pull" with me. The teacher, not so much. But I think that maybe, just maybe, she learned from my role modeling that even the most mundane routines can be done in an engaging way for these friends. And if she didn't learn...oh well...I had fun!

See you later!

No comments: