Created B'Tzelem Elohim, "In the Image of God"

Within each child lies a spark of divinity, as we are created B'Tzelem Elohim, "In the Image of God." Every child is special, and deserves the chance to to find their spark. Follow their lead, as their interests may become their gifts.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The benefits of reflecting with a child

I went to a school last week and met a 4 year old boy who was sitting on the couch in the office. I asked him what we was doing there. He frowned and shook his head. "I'm in time out."

Here is the rest of our conversation:

Me: What? You? Why?

Him: (still frowning) I don't know.

Me: (still shocked) Was there an al-ter-ca-tion?

Him: (thinks for a moment) Yes. Yes there was.

Me: Did someone get hurt?

Him: Yes! Someone did! I hit ____.

Me: Oh....

Him: But she hit me first!

Me: Ah, I see. Wow.

Him: I know....

(Both of us are quiet for a moment.)

Me: So, if someone hits you again, what do you think you can do?

Him: (sighs heavily) I'm gonna tell Miss ___ next time.

Me: Good idea. Then you will probably get to stay in your classroom. Don't you think it would be more fun to be in your class rather than out here?

Him: (thinks for a moment) Well, if I'm talking to YOU out here, that's better than being in my class!


It was a great day... :)

No comments: